Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Up, Up and Away!

This past weekend, Emily and I flew to Austin to see her brother receive two Master's degrees. (Yes, I can now close my eyes and still see the Longhorn symbol!)

When we touched down in Austin, I got off the plane first (we had to sit separately since the plane was perfectly packed). While waiting for Emily, I was approached by an older woman - likely an immigrant, and definitely Spanish-speaking only - for help. Since I knew nothing about the airport, I flagged down two nearby pilots, and then translated for them (I speak some Spanish). Turned out she was looking for the baggage claim area, and they were able to point her in the right direction.

Then, after Emily and I had just gotten our own baggage and started walking away, another lady flagged me down. She had just paid for a luggage cart, but still couldn't get it out of the machine. Having neither the detailed knowledge nor the time, I pointed her to a nearby customer service office and also a nearby worker who might be able to help her.

As my loyal readers know, this kind of thing happens once in a while. (And it's already happened again this week, back here in the Washington, DC area...but that's another story.)

Meanwhile, The County Line in Austin serves the best barbecue this native New Yorker has ever had. (If you enjoy big meals like I do, try their "All You Can Stand" special - ribs [pork and beef], brisket, sausage, chicken, sliced turkey, baked beans, potato salad and more!) And try the Star Seeds Cafe - open 24 hours, come as you are (and if you're not the barbecue type, check out their many vegetarian and vegan specials)!

Austin - an omnivorous city!

No comments: